The Last Day Before The First Day

A while ago I was wrestling with the cold comforter blanket and the two soft cotton pillows, one locked behind my still sleepy head, the other trapped helplessly between my limbs, arms and legs, as I shifted positions in bed or, I should say, the arena. Wrestling rules should have declared me the winner of the match. Ironically, the blanket and the pillows, conniving with the cold weather, effortlessly pinned me down motionless in bed for at least an hour. It was a knockout. I lost.

At 8:40 AM, the match was over. I ate sandwich and gulped a glass of orange juice, took a warm shower, put on warm clothes and a nagkukunwaring winter jacket, grabbed the umbrella resting in the corner, and left the cold room.

Outside, motorcycles and cars would speed with noticeable caution down the wet concrete road. People, mostly students, I guess, and mostly in fashionably crafted winter jackets were all in a hurry. Their umbrellas, however, didn’t match their trendy outfits. Some even protected themselves from the rain using some near-wreck umbrellas, which, I guess, they bought from 7-11. Practical and necessity are the words for that. The fashion world would disagree. I wander how Rihanna’s song could be rearranged or rewritten to fit these descriptions.

It has been raining since Sunday. Today is the fourth day of continuous rain. Good thing is that Chung Li is not a Gabriel Garcia Marquez realm where a continuous rain can cause to drown even the tiniest hope you’ve been clinging on for years. It never floods here. Bad thing is that today is the last day of 2008, the eve of the first day of next year.

Tomorrow is another day, another year. I hope the rain stops tomorrow.

Comments

deutsche said…
Happy New Year! You still have work/office even on the day of the New Year's eve? How would you/they celebrate New Year there? Of course, fireworks will be present?

Popular Posts