Ded Na Si Lolo (Grandpa Is Dead)

When I learned that DED NA SI LOLO is the Philippines’ entry to the Best Foreign Language Film category of next years Academy Awards, I yearned to watch it. When I finally got a copy of the film, I watched it as soon as I got home.

SYNOPSIS:


What happens when a member of a family suddenly dies? What if the family of the deceased is not ready for the eventual passing away of their loved ones – how does one cope with the event?


This is the story of the late Juanito Hernandez and his bereaved family. The story unfolds with the ever observant eye of Bobet, a grandson of the deceased, who, in the process also learns the various complexities of what death could bring to the living members of the family. The drama that ensues in dealing with the loss is usually the springboard of comic instances and happenings in the event. And so with the revelations of long kept secrets, pent up emotions and other bones of the skeleton in the closet.


The film is hilarious. I watched it alone and I really laughed my hearts out. It also has some bits of melodrama as it depicts the Filipino family in times of loss, grief and mourning. The film is very Filipino, and every Filipino who will see it can relate to it, as it showcases some of our superstitious beliefs during the wake a family member who is dead. I highly recommend this Soxy Topacio-directed film. But, for it to be entered in the Oscar’s race I have reservations. I’m not sure if it’s a good decision by the FAP to have chosen this film as our entry. I may be wrong. Well, good luck. For sure, I’ll be happy if it makes the cut.



{October 17, 2009}

Comments

dake said…
pahiram dvd! hehehe

Popular Posts