Adios, Saramago

For me Portuguese writer Jose Saramago, 1998 Nobel Prize in Literature winner, was one of the greatest living writers until his death two (2) days ago. He was 87. Indeed it's a great loss for the international literary community but his was a life well lived.
Despite finding his writing style difficult, I always had a very rewarding experience while and after reading his works: All The Names, Blindness, The Gospel According To Jesus Christ, Seeing, and Death at Intervals. Although all of the are masterpieces, Blindness will remain to be my favorite. I think it's his best work. I have copies of The Cave, The Double, Baltasar and Blimunda, The History of the Siege of Lisbon, The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis, and The Stone Raft. I still have find time to read all these. I know I won't be disappointed. Now that he's dead, I wish that publishers would rush translating his two latest works: Elephant Journey and Cain.
It's interesting to know that Saramago wrote most of his works - the works that made him earn the well-deserved Nobel Prize - when he was over 60. Impressive. I wish I could do that when I retire.
Adios, Saramago! I'm sad that you can not give us more books to read but happy that finally you got your well-deserved rest. Thanks for your masterpieces.

Comments

Popular Posts