Movie No. 104 (2013): ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Director: Michel Gondry
Cast: Kate Winslet, Jim Carrey, Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood, Mark Ruffalo, Kirsten Dunst

I have to admit that the first time I saw this film, my jaw dropped as the end credits scrolled up because I didn't get it completely. But I didn't feel I didn't like it. In fact, I was inclined to believe that there's something in the movie that made me want to see it again. Then I saw it again after a few weeks and I was happy I did. From then on I kept seeing the film at least once every year. My latest viewing, which was two days ago, was my 8th or 9th time already! This is one of my favorite films of all time. In fact, I consider it one of the greatest films ever made.

The film is romance, drama, comedy, and science fiction. This rare combination rarely works, and when it works, it's unforgettable. Kate Winslet did very well as Clementine Kruczynski. Clementine had the memory of her boyfriend erased after a nasty fight with him. The erasing was through a 'scientific' procedure that was performed while she slept. In the film, there's this firm that specializes on the procedure; it's called Lacuna. Clementine's boyfriend was Joel Barish, played by Jim Carrey, who, upon learning of Clementine's erasing him from her memory, was devastated. He also submitted himself to the procedure to have his memories of Clementine erased. But something happened during the process: Joel tried to resist the erasing of good  and happy memories. Did he succeed?

There's also this side story involving the staff of Lacuna which added spice to the film's (already) 'delicious' narrative. Even Jim Carrey, who had been identified with his disgusting and, sometimes, offensive slapstick antics in his previous blockbuster movies, was believable as hopeless romantic in this film. I could still see traces of Jim Carrey in Joel Barish, but I could forgive that because the movie itself was overwhelming.

I will see it again next year.

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: April 29, 2013

Comments

Popular Posts