Movie No. 82 (2014): THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

The Fault In Our Stars (2014)
Director: Josh Boone
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Willem Defoe, Laura Dern

Everyone knows that this is the movie adaptation of John Green's bestseller of the same title. So, everyone who read the book, and saw the movie afterwards, knew what to expect from the movie and expect they'd be disappointed. I'm glad I haven't read it yet. Probably I'll never read it. I've just seen the movie. I am not totally exhilarated, but I'm not disappointed.

The overall direction is decent despite that it occasionally falls victim of the snare called conventions of formulaic flimsy teen flicks. My major complaint is I can't care about the Hazel character. Is it the writing or the acting that seems shortchanged? If I read the book I could have understood well the Hazel character. But that's cheating. Not all who saw the movie read the book. The Gus character is actually more interesting. 

The movie has some share of memorable quotes or one liners, but the situation in which some of these lines are delivered looks contrived.

Rating: 2.5/4.0

Date seen: November 6, 2014


Comments

Popular Posts