Movie No. 48 (2015): OLIVER TWIST

Oliver Twist (1948)
Director: David Lean
Cast: John Howard Davies, Alec Guinness

I didn't read Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, but I saw Carol Reed's 1968 musical film based on the book - Oliver! I also saw the local production of the stage musical Oliver! It's from these that I got to learn about the story of the orphan Oliver Twist. 

Now on the David Lean's screen adaptation of the classic: marvelous! Every mise-en-scene is carefully crafted. It excellently helped make the story-telling fluid and and the movie itself absorbing. Black and white photography almost always add to the artful composition and it worked quite well in this movie. Alec Guinness completely disappeared in Fagin. 

Most critics say this is the best adaptation of the Charles Dickens classic. I can't comment on this but I want to believe it after seeing it.

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: August 31, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts