Flying Fish, Swimming Bird

A downward flipping of my hands, like what some fishes do with their pectoral fins as they shear the water in their ascent to the surface, would easily put me in a state of levitation, though not the kind associated with shamanism or demonic possession. At several feet above the ground, I would (later) assume a horizontal position facing the ground and would flip my hands sideways like I was swimming in air. For some reasons I didn’t want to call it flying at first. I could easily be a spectacle but people on the ground, stuck to their daily routines, wouldn’t notice me. It didn’t stop me from soaring higher and higher but not to the point where it’s cold. Then, everything would fade.

This is a recurring dream. I’ve been having the same dream at several points in my life. As far as I can recall, it started during my undergraduate days in Mapua that I would be held captive in this particular realm. It would always make me feel that someone was coaching me to fly like what a director does with his actor. I don’t recall when I started to tell my friends about my flying (not swimming) in dreams. The last time I dreamed about the same dream was 2 or 3 weeks ago. In dreams, I’ve been flying for more than 20 times and am expecting to be flying over the same ground in the coming days or, maybe, years. I wish that I would be coached to take a dive down to a level closer to the ground for this could make me recognize who these busy people on the ground are. They could be people who I met in the past or people who I would meet in the future.

Somebody tried to interpret this dream for me. She told me, “You will travel.” Maybe.

Would it be easier for a fish to swim against the current or for a bird to fly against the wind? How far would they go?

Comments

Popular Posts