American Idol Hopefuls And Their Songs

This season’s finale is set next week: Kris or Adam will be the Season 8’s American Idol.

I became a fan of American Idol only last year. My favorites last year were Michael Johns and David Cook. I was disappointed at the early and unexpected exit of Michael Johns – America didn’t get it right, so they said - and was delighted, later at the season finale, when David Cook foiled his namesake’s claim for the American Idol crown. Honestly, I was sure, and I accepted it, that David A would be it when Simon’s comments seemed to favor him over David Cook after their respective performances during the finale. David A wouldn’t be a bad choice. But, David Cook’s actually winning was, for me, a pleasant and welcome surprise.

As memorable as David Cook’s victory were the performances that stood out. My personal favorites, which I still keep listening to until now, were:

David Cook: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Billy Jean, Always Be My Baby, Eleanor Rigby
David Archuleta: Imagine, The Long and Winding Road, Don’t Let The Sun Go Down on Me
Jason Castro: Hallelujah, Over The Rainbow
Michael Johns: Dream On, It’s All Wrong But It’s All Right, Across The Universe
Brooke White: Let It Be, Jolene
Carly Smithson: Jesus Christ Superstar

In this season’s batch, there are more hopefuls that, I think, have a future in the music industry, win or lose: Danny, Allison, Matt. Megan and Anoop, too, I hope. Adam Lambert is a sure thing. My early favorites in the Top 13 were Anoop, Matt and Megan.

Kris Allen has become a favorite after Ain’t No Sunshine. This song has long been one of my favorites of all time. Kris did an outstanding take on it. I can add his version of song to the other interpretations of the song, those of Al Jarreau’s and Bill Withers’, the kind that I can listen to over and over again. Kris Allen’s Falling Slowly was a knockout. Then came the performance that, according to Simon, put him in the finals: his unique, fresh, and brave take on Kanye West’s Heartless. I agree; I compared the two versions. Even his Come Together performance that week when Allison was booted out, was, for me, praise-worthy.

Adam, I must admit, is the best among this batch, performance-wise. His consistent A+ efforts have always turned out applause-worthy and have earned him the generous and easy approval from both the judges and millions of the voting public. I’ll be happy if he takes the plum next week. However, Kris’s taking it home, instead, will be a welcome shocker. And I’ll be more delighted.

Ryan’s announcement of this season’s American Idol next week will go down in the history of the show regardless of whose name will be it. But for me, I am looking forward to collecting all the gems of this season – the performances or song interpretations that I will add to my mp4 play list. Following is a list of 10 interpretations from this season which are my favorite:
1. Falling Slowly – Kris Allen
2. Mad World – Adam Lambert
3. Ain’t No Sunshine – Kris Allen
4. Heartless – Kris Alen
5. Part Time Lover – Matt Giraud
6. You Are So Beautiful – Danny Gokey
7. Always On My Mind – Anoop Desai
8. Track Of My Tears – Adam Lambert
9. I Can't Make You Love Me – Allison Iraheta
10. Rockin’ Robin – Megan Joy Corkrey

Crazy choices? Wait, there’s more: Play That Funky Music (Adam); You Found Me and Let's Get It On (Matt); Jesus Take The Wheel (Danny); Come Together (Kris); Hot Stuff (Allison); Ooh, Baby Baby (Anoop). These and the 10 listed above will be, from now on, some permanent residents in my play list.

{May 15, 2009}

Comments

Popular Posts