Orhan Pamuk: THE WHITE CASTLE

This is the very first novel I’ve ever finished reading this year (2012). Last year I read 57 books where more than half of such titles were a truly unforgettable reading experience. I know that, at this rate, it will be an achievement if, at the end of the year, my counter will read 40.

The White Castle is the fourth book by Orhan Pamuk (a Turkish Novelist and recipient of 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature) that I’ve read so far. Though I felt having had read it was worth my time, I found it not as great as the other three (My Name Is Red, Snow, The Museum of Innocence). The novel chronicles the events after a young Italian scholar is captured by Turkish pirates, brought to Istanbul, and made a slave under a master who is almost his dead ringer.

One memorable quote from the book: The ideal story should begin innocently like a fairy tale, be frightening like a nightmare in the middle, and conclude like a love story ending in separation.


Rating: 3.0/5.0

Comments

Popular Posts