Film Review: Shame (2011)

Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)

Michael Fassbender is Brandon, a harmless sex addict in this film. I saw this film two days ago; I was shocked, actually disturbed, but was completely absorbed into it, and it's not because of the talked-about controversial scenes. Fassbender was so effective in acting out the monotones of Brandon's existence. He has a job and lives alone in a Manhattan apartment. Then his sister, who is his exact opposite, arrives uninvited, lives with him, leaving him no other choice. His very "private world" will be threatened.

I was really so absorbed that when the end credits were scrolling, I just stared blankly at the screen (or monitor of my computer). Did I like the film? That time, I wasn't sure. I even had the notion that it was scary. Brandon's slow descent into "hell" (while there seemed to be no one to rescue him) was agonizing to watch. His sister's unwelcome presence didn't help.
But now I can say Shame is a fully realized film. I have to note that its use of sound (or score) was effective in creating the (silent) tension.

But I will never watch it again. Or, maybe I will.
Rating: 4.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts