Movie No. 76 (2013): RENT: FILMED LIVE ON BROADWAY

Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway (2008)
Director: Michael John Warren
Cast: Will Chase, Adam Kantor, Tracie Thomas, Justin Johnston

I've seen RENT five times already in two different media and five different productions. The first I saw was the off-Broadway production in Los Angeles (with Neil Patrick Harris as Mark Cohen). I fell so much in love with the musical that I paid to see two different local productions in Manila (at different times) a few years after. Then I saw film adaptation of the musical (by Chris Columbus)  in 2006. It had mixed reviews but I didn't care (and I still don't care); I still found it fascinating and very entertaining. And, finally, the version that was filmed on a Broadway stage. This film.

Rent is the story of a group of struggling artists who live together in building that will soon be demolished to pave the way for the building of a cyber studio. They couldn't pay rent. Some of them live with the dreaded AIDS. For me, this musical is one with the best song track. My personal favorites are I'll Cover You, One Song Glory, Without You, and Seasons of Love. The best thing about this version is that it's like watching the electrifying performances live inside a theater.

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: April 1, 2013




Comments

Popular Posts