Movie No. 150 (2013): THE CONJURING

The Conjuring (2013)
Director: James Wan
Cast: Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor, Ron Livingson

I'm not easily get spooked while being hooked on scenes in horror films that are meant to scare or make one jump from his seat. Despite this I still like horror films and try to see one when I feel like seeing one. During the past years however, I intentionally avoid such films because practically all horror films shown, local and international, were either bad or mediocre, with stupid premises. 

Since the past few days, people have been talking about The Conjuring. General feedback were positive. Some acquaintances and close friends would recommend it. So, I gave it a chance, all for curiosity. I saw it last night. I did not expect anything. I didn't expect that it could top my favorite horror films (The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Let The Right One In, Jaws, Don't Look Now, The Others, The Ring, Ju-On, The Devil's Backbone, and The Orphanage). 

Well, The Conjuring didn't disappoint. Actually, it's good, but it fell short in a few aspects to make my list. There are so many good things about film: the superb acting ensemble from established actors, which is rare in mostly cheap horror films; the presenting of narrative in two different points of view; the tasteful blending of photography, editing, and sound effects that excellently create atmosphere of spookiness and suspense. 

The film does not attempt to explain the genesis of the demonic presence in the house; this decision is not a bad thing . In fact, it contributes to the mystery. The slow buildup of intrigue and mystery (unexplained bruises to sleepwalking to violent attack of demonic presence) is something that's noteworthy. The film certainly lives up to what's expected from a horror film. But this is different; and it's not just one of those cheap horror flicks.

My only comment is that the pre-credit scenes are immaterial and not contributory to the narrative.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Date seen: August 16, 2013


Comments

Popular Posts