Movie No. 11 (2014): AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY

August: Osage County (2013)
Director: John Wells
Cast: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Juliette Lewis, Dermot Mulroney

A tragedy gathers three three sisters, who had been living diverse lives, in the house they grew up in. In the course of several days in August, they clash with their dysfunctional, cancer-afflicted mother, and with each other, as secrets and hidden demons are unleashed.

The story line is something familiar or something similar to what I might had seen in other movies. However, it's neither bad nor spectacular. Let me say "decent." But, why was I reminded of Woody Allen's Interiors when I was seeing this movie? The movie is heavy drama and I understand why some people classify it as dark comedy. In my opinion, a dark comedy is, more often, a drama.

The ever-dependable Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts make this movie memorable. They both stand out, acting-wise. In fact, the rest of the cast do not falter. The best feature of the movie is the cast's excellent ensemble acting.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Date seen: February 2, 2014

Comments

Popular Posts