Movie No. 89 (2014): THE VANISHING


The Vanishing (1992)
Director: George Sluizer
Cast: Kiefer Sutherland, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges

When I saw this film for the first time during mid- (or late) 1990s, I knew I was watching a remake of a critically acclaimed Dutch film. That time I hadn't seen the original yet. I seemed to have liked the remake. Years later, I had the chance to see the original; I remembered preferring it to the remake. But, I still liked the remake; it was not bad. After all, the original and the remake have the same director.

Last week, I had the chance to see the remake again on My Movie Channel. It was like watching a new movie because I already forgot most of the scenes and the (minor) deviations from the original movie. Yes, it's (still) about a man who never gives up finding her abducted girlfriend. But, given the standards of a what a suspense film should be, I now find The Vanishing a so-so movie. In fact, the twist in the final scenes looks contrived and agonizing.

I guess, I will see the original movie again.

Rating: 1.5/4.0

Date seen: November 30, 2014

Comments

Popular Posts