Movie No. 73 (2016): CHRONIC

Chronic (2016)
Director: Michel Franco
Cast: Tim Roth

The movie is about David, an on-demand home care nurse for terminally ill patients. He provides for the patient as long as the patient is alive. When the patient dies, he'll be assigned to another. What's peculiar about David is the emotional attachment he develops with every patient he's assigned to give care. When he's alone, he seems to be in another world. He has chronic depression. The movie's title could have been referring to his psychological state or to the state of David's patients. 

The movie is a character study with well-structured script. David is a departure from the types of characters Tim Roth would play on screen. But, he did it excellently. I've only seen a handful of Tim Roth's films. I'm convinced his best performance, so far, is as David in Chronic.

That ending; I don't know how to digest it. I'm still puzzled at the moment. This is not the first time I've seen this kind of ending. But, looking back, I think, the early parts of the film prepared the unprepared audience for it.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Date seen: October 29, 2016

Comments

Popular Posts