Movie No. 82 (2016): EN LA CIUDAD SIN BRUJULA

In The City Without A Compass (2015)
Director: Antonio Savinelli
Cast: Javier Mejia, Agnes Kiraly
In Spanish, with English subtitles

I didn't know about the film. I picked it from the list of titles on board, on my way from Malaysia to Manila. I didn't regret the decision. I was engrossed.

I am a fan of character-driven movies and character studies. This one is about two foreigners who meet and get to know each other in a foreign land. The script interpolates between the mix of personal, local, and cultural problems of the two main characters, i.e., immigration issues, acclimatization, and homesickness. They come from very different cultural backgrounds. In the city where they meet, they get lost in their dreams. 

The movie is very honest. Some may find it slow. In my case, I was not prepared when it's finally done. Then it slowly sunk in. 

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: December 4, 2016

Comments

Popular Posts