Movie No. 16 (2019): EVERYBODY KNOWS

Everybody Knows (aka Todos Lo Saben) (2018)
Director: Asghar Farhadi
Cast: Javier Bardem, Ricardo Darin, Penelope Cruz
In Spanish, with English subtitles


I've already seen several movies directed by Asghar Farhadi. I remember giving all these movies thumbs up. I particularly liked (and still like) A Separation, The Salesman and About Elly, his best works in my opinion. Arguably, these films are also among the best movies ever made. However, Every Body Knows, Farhadi's latest, despite a strong international Spanish-speaking cast, is almost a let down. It's not bad. It's far from it. But, I can't avoid compare it with his best works, particularly About Elly

Everybody Knows is a kidnapping movie. I expected more thrill and some bit of mystery. I got some. But, this was almost eclipsed by the melodrama. It was an uneven mix of thrill and melodrama, leaning toward the latter. But then, it's not bad. Great performances and the "presence" of the director, in my opinion, saved the movie from a possible disaster. I actually like its subtlety. It's not great, but good enough to merit second viewing.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Date seen: August 17, 2019

Comments

Popular Posts