I've Seen Them All (Almost) - Part 1

Critics groups, the Golden Globes, and BAFTA had already made public what they thought were the best films in 2008. Later this week, the OSCARS will announce the nominees for the 81st Academy Awards. Let me share what I thought were the best films of 2008. I’m not predicting the OSCARS. It’s just that if I had a nomination ballot, I would write the 5 films that I felt were the best. In this post I also include the film that I thought deserved the 6th to 10th slot in my list, but without descriptions.

Note that I haven’t seen THE READER, FROST/NIXON and DOUBT yet. After watching these films, one or all three of them may kick out one or three films in this present list.

CHANGELING and GRAN TORINO are both okay but I don’t have a place for them in the top 10.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is a technically well-made film; however, I don’t like it because it gave too much detail in the first 60 to 70% of its long running time and yet that last part seemed to have been summarized (read: minadali). For example, I don’t see the point of having wasted too much screen time in the war scene but shortened the screen time for the exposition on Benjamin and Daisy growing and physically aging apart. Daisy at her deathbed and her daughter’s reading of the diary as the vehicle used to tell the story of Benjamin Button is simply corny. Brad Pitt’s performance was short of average. Thanks to his prosthetics which enhanced his catatonic performance. Tilma Swinton’s brief screen time showcased the only memorable performance in the film. One thing that worries me is the disappointment that I will surely feel because this overrated film might even win best film at the Oscars. It is a big studio film with big stars. It’s receiving a lot of buzz. This can be another Braveheart, one of the worst choices for best picture, or Forrest Gump, another overrated film.
Now, here's the bottom half of my list of 10 Best Films of 2008 (the runners-up):


10. VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
Director: Woody Allen
Cast: Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johannson, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz

9. THE DARK KNIGHT
Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine

8. HAPPY GO LUCKY
Director: Mike Leigh
Cast: Sally Hawkins, Eddie Marson

7. MILK
Director: Gus van Sant
Cast: Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, James Franco

6. WALL*E
Director: Andrew Stanton
Voice Cast: Ben Burtt, Elisa Knight
-----------------------------------------
The Top 5 Films in my list, with my corresponding reviews and descriptions of them, are in the next post.

Comments

deutsche said…
Neither these films, I haven't seen them yet.

Popular Posts