No Major Upsets At The Oscars



I am delighted with the outcome of the 81st Academy Awards.

Slumdog Millionaire – Best Picture. Of course!

Heath Ledger’s win was the only sure thing that night.

The only notable upset, in my opinion, was the win of Departures (Japan) beating the heavily favored Waltz With Bashir (Israel) or The Class (France) in the Best in Foreign-Language Film. This reminded me of some other occasions when the almost sure thing to win in the category eventually lost, e.g, Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) and Amelie (2001). It turned out that the German film Lives of Others (2006) and the Bosnian film No Man's Land (2001), in my opinion, were not not bad choices. Departures may be actually better than Waltz With Bashir and The Class. I hope to see this film soon.

I hoped for a Viola Davis (Doubt) win in the Best Supporting Actress category. However, Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), who won the trophy, deserves it, too.

The elite-sounding “Academy Award Winner” label can now be placed before Kate Winslet’s name. I guess that award is a recognition of her two powerful performances last year in The Reader and Revolutionary Road. I see more nominations (and awards) for such a talented actress in the future. Way to go!

I was actually hoping for a repeat of that rare event when two actresses tied for the award – the curious case of Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl) and Katharine Hepburn (The Lion in Winter) in the Best Actress category in 1968. This year, I was hoping for a Meryl Streep – Kate Winslet tie. It didn't happen though.

Slumdog Millionaire getting eight (8) trophies was a pleasant and welcome surprise. I was not at all expecting its win in Sound Mixing.

I’m glad that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button didn’t succeed in pulling an upset. It, however, won all the awards that it certainly deserved – Make-up, Art Direction and Visual Effects.

Whether Mickey Rourke or Sean Penn won Best Actor, I’d be delighted. I was. Although I was expecting the former to get the trophy I always felt that the latter gave a slightly better performance as Harvey Milk. Now, Sean Penn belongs to the elite club of two-time Academy Award winners.

Once I felt that Danny Boyle had the making of a good director despite his share of misses. I adored his 2004 film Millions. The now cult classic Trainspotting (1996) had displayed Boyle’s directing prowess. Slumdog Millionaire cemented his rightful place in world cinema. Pardon me if this statement sounds sweeping.

The host, Hugh Jackman, was a revelation. I didn't know he can sing and dance! Nice.

Comments

deutsche said…
I haven't seen the Award's Night Ceremony. I've just read its results from newspaper. I understand there'll be a replay on ABS-CBN's 'Sunday night show', after 'Sharon', this coming Sunday, I forgot the name of that show.

I've watched The Reader and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I agree with the Body's selection for Kate Winslet as Best Actress and The Best Make Up for Benjamin Button, Benjamin Button and Cate Blanchett's make up span a life time while Winslet's and the boy's make ups span about a quarter or more of a lifetime only, hehehe.

Popular Posts