The Reader Doubt(s) The Visitor

I had finally watched The Visitor, The Reader and Doubt during my two-week vacation in Manila. Here’s what I have to say:

THE READER (Dir. Stephen Daldry)
In my opinion, the idea of a brief consequential May-December affair, i.e., that of a woman and a boy (almost) half her age, set against the backdrop of post Nazi Germany, is somewhat fresh. This premise, I suppose, is just the surface because either the novel or the film exposes the baffling duality of human nature. Everyone, including myself, may claim that the narrative of the film is somewhat inferior to the literary expositions of the novel; however, I believe that the film adaptation still captures the conceptual foundation of the novel. Kate Winslet as Hanna gives a multilayered performance that deserves the Academy Awards nomination that she has actually stolen from herself for her another brilliant portrayal in Revolutionary Road. If she wins, she deserves it. Finally, despite the mixed reviews the film gets from critics and moviegoers, I still find a space for this film (The Reader) in my Top 10.

THE VISITOR (Dir. Thomas McCarthy)
I may not have a place for this film in my Top 10 but I do agree with Richard Jerkins’ nomination for Best Actor at the 81st Academy Awards. This character-study-type film has only one memorable scene that highlights his acting, like one that showcases the character’s extreme emotion; however, it is Jenkins’ consistent take on the character he plays that makes me feel and care about the character. Seeing this film is surely worthwhile.

DOUBT (Dir. John Patrick Shanley)
John Patrick Hanley has made a commendable film adaptation of Doubt, which he originally wrote and directed for stage. This examination of the cost of faith is powerfully and effectively acted - its major cast (Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis) having been nominated in various acting categories at the 81st Academy Awards. Most noteworthy of these performances are those of Streep’s and Davis’. The setup for the film (or story) is captured in the first scene as Father Flynn (Hoffman) makes a sermon on the power of doubt or what to do when not sure. How ‘doubt’ enters the scene and leads a character and events to the film’s conclusion is one of the major strengths of the film.
------
Finally, I changed my mind. I decided to include these three films in my Top 10 without dislodging any film from my previous list. I will place The Reader and Doubt in No. 6 spot, in a three-way tie with Wall*E. The Visitor will share the No. 10 spot with Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Sorry, I cheated.

Comments

Popular Posts