Knowing, Prayers For Bobby, The International

During the last three days, I watched three films, one each night. These were films for one would usually watch for entertainment. I’m not going into an in-depth review of each. I’ll just say what I think about them anyway.


THE INTERNATIONAL
Director: Tom Tykwer
Cast: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts
Year of release: 2009

This is the plot: An Interpol agent attempts to expose a high-profile financial institution's role in an international arms dealing ring. I don’t find this particular film to be in the same level as the previous films of Tom Tykwer (The Princess And The Warrior, Heaven and Run Lola Run). I enjoyed it though, like any Hollywood blockbuster films I usually watch to be entertained. In the end, however, I found it wanting.

Rating: 2.5 / 4.0

KNOWING
Director: Alex Proyas
Cast: Nicolas Cage
Year of release: 2009

A teacher opens a time capsule that has been dug up at his son's elementary school; in it are some chilling predictions -- some that have already occurred and others that are about to -- that lead him to believe his family plays a role in the events that are about to unfold. --- This is the plot written in IMDB site.

One problem I noticed in this film: incoherence. The connections seem so forced. It’s predictable at times. I think I’ve seen a similar film before. There’s nothing that will make this film memorable.

I only watched the film because its director is Alex Proyas. I liked his previous films: The Crow and Dark City.

Rating: 2.0 / 4.0

PRAYERS FOR BOBBY
Director: Russell Mulcahy
Cast: Sigourney Weaver, Henry Czerny
Year shown on TV: 2009

This film made for TV tells the true story of Mary Griffith who has become a gay rights advocate after her son, who was gay, committed suicide because of her religious intolerance. Sigourney Weaver as Mary Griffith delivers a powerful performance which earns her an Emmy Nomination for Best Actress this year.

Rating: 3.5 / 4.0

Comments

Popular Posts