Film Review: Footnote

Footnote (Joseph Cedar, 2011)
In Hebrew, with English subtitles

Father and son are both Talmudic scholars. The father is appreciated in a small circle while the son has won significant accolades from a larger and more popular group of peers. Rivalry between father and son is sublimely hinted in the film. However, the film's narrative is focused on the examination of the complications of love, ambition, and generation issues. 

I almost gave up after (almost) half of the running time but the main conflict, which was interesting and clever, was hinted shortly after that, which kept me glued to the film. And I'm glad I finished the movie. Actually, after the main conflict was shown, I had to rewind the film to 3 chapters back. This helped to appreciate the film more.

This Israeli film was nominated in the Best Foreign Language Film category of last year's Academy Awards. It certainly deserved the nomination.

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts