Movie No. 3 (2014): SPRING BREAKERS

Spring Breakers (2013)
Director: Harmony Korine
Cast: Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, James Franco

It's easy to dismiss the movie as forgettable without actually watching it. Just by looking at the cast at a director whose same sounds like a joke, I would never be convinced to see it, even if I saw James Franco's name in the cast. But, things changed when the LA Film Critics Awards recognized James Franco's take on Alien, his character in the movie. I tried to see it. But, I couldn't stand the first 15 minutes and there was no James Franco. So, I had to discontinue; I never felt the urgency to see it. In fact, what I had seen so far was annoying. Then yesterday, the otherwise snobbish National Society of Film Critics bestowed on James Franco his second acting award for his work in this film. I gave the movie another chance and, once I got past the first twenty minutes I was somehow hooked. And then the Alien character appeared (or re-appeared, 'cause I didn't notice him in the "rap on the beach" sequence). That's when I got hooked. Yes, Alien was James Franco's character. He played the character so effectively good that James Franco completely disappeared. And I would have said, where's James Franco in the movie? We'll you will never see James Franco in the movie.

I didn't expect to like the film. It may not be the one of the best films of the year, but the movie deserves respect. But, I like it.

Rating: 3.0/4.0

Date seen: January 5, 2014

Comments

Popular Posts