First Attempt

The climb, the rough road
Excavations, the soft earth
Two-wheeled ride, the daredevil
The slope, the four-legged beast
The rung, the platform
The harness, the hooks
The cable, the line
Release, the flight
Scream, surrender
Cold air, colder wind
The tree tops, the tall pines
The jerk, the end of the line

My first attempt at zip line was really fun. I thought it was scary because I’m not usually comfortable with heights. Looking at the ground through the glass wall that separates the room in a towering building from the outside is a nauseating experience for me. It always scares me. I always have this thought that I can’t ignore: What if I fall? At Camp Sabros in Digos City, Davao Del Sur, I conquered my fear. The tree tops appeared like grasses on my mobile point of view. I was hanging face down while zooming along the 800-meter zip line. The air was cold; it became even colder flowing past my face on my way to the other end of the line. It was breathtaking. The experience was rewarding. Never did I feel nauseated, even for a second.

Camp Sabros is in the Mount Apo District. It took us more than an hour climbing up to reach the camp. At the point where the makeshift road were too rough for our van to pass through, some of us opted to ride a horse, some took the habal-habal, and the rest walked to cover the remaining distance. The safest way was to tread on foot. The most challenging was riding a habal-habal because the road was unpaved with protruding small rocks here and there, scattered stones and low-depth excavations. And the way up was sloping. I took the habal-habal and, for the next five minutes, I almost lost my breath. I feared we might slip, fall, and bump our unprotected heads against some rocks. This was scarier than the zip line ride. The driver, I can say, was an awesome daredevil.
The day after that we went to Paradise Resort in Samal Island in Davao City.

{28 May 2010}

Comments

Popular Posts