Java Plum

Locally these black fruits are called duhat. I had a weird dream about it last night. The dream transported me back to childhood. There used to be a duhat tree that belonged to my grandmother's neighbor. The tree however was just an arm's reach from the window of my grandmother's house. It was not too tall so that when it bore fruits during summer, we (my cousin and I) could easily reach for some fruits to devour. The neighbor who owned the tree didn't mind.
.
Here's what I saw in the dream. It was the duhat tree of my childhood. My aunt, my father's sister, was standing under the tree. She was holding a broom in her right hand. The shadow of the tree almost covered her face, which made her look like a witch. My cousin and I were watching her from the window. A little later she dropped the broom and left. That's when we noticed some black fruits on the ground. We even heard the sound of these fruits being crushed by our aunt's feet as she walked away from the shade of the tree. And then we realized it was summer. Our summers were never without stealing these fruits from the neighbor's backyard. The tree was studded with bunches of these black fruit. The tree almost looked black under the heat of summer sun. One bunch caught my attention. The bunch consisted of alternating black and white duhat fruits. It looked beautiful. My cousin and I, as if frozen by the sight, just stared at the bunch until I woke up.

Comments

Popular Posts