Knut Hamsun: HUNGER

In Hunger, Knut Hamsun (1920 Nobel Prize in Literature) presents a masterfully crafted tale of a young writer's descent into madness caused by hunger and poverty. It had me taken into the mind of the main character - an experience that, for me, was horrifying. At some points I had good pimples (not sure if it was partly due to the prevailing low temperature in my room) because Hamsun was effective in describing what the main character had been experiencing. And I had to stop from time to time trying to make sense out of what was happening. I'm glad I dared to read this important classic psychological literature from someone considered by the likes of Isaac Bashevis Singer, Ernest Hemingway and other prominent writers to be (one of) the greatest writer(s) of the 20th century.

This book is a translation from the original (Norwegian) language.

This is the very first book that I've read on the Amazon Kindle application of my HTC Sensation XE phone.

Rating: 5.0/5.0

Comments

Popular Posts