BONA

Last night I saw Bona - not the Lino Brocka masterpiece but the updated adaptation of the film on stage. Lalie Bucoy (a Palanca winner) wrote it; PETA produced it; Soxy Topacio directed it. Eugene Domingo and Edgar Allan Guzman led the cast of actors.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. I had a good laugh at some points. But some parts appeared like a poorly scripted skit that would find a good place in a gag show. When the show was over, I could feel I was not the only one who received it with cold to lukewarm enthusiasm. Of course I did the obligatory applause. But, (only) few were generous enough to make a standing ovation. I couldn't. I suppose it was Eugene Domingo they did those cheers for. I had to agree on this for she was good in her portrayal as obsessed fan of an eliminated contestant in a talent search. Edgar Allan Guzman was passable for a neophyte on stage. Except for the irritating trio (the talent manager and his sidekicks), the supporting cast were really good. 

I got disappointed because I was expecting a lot. I didn't expect the adaptation to be mostly comedic. The Lino Brocka film was serious and relentlessly searing, specially with the good script, and Nora Aunor and Philip Salvador leading the cast. There's nothing wrong with the updating of the original. But, for me, the PETA production didn't work. The ending sucked.

Rating: 2.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts