Film Review: Paris, Texas

Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
Winner: Palm D'Or, Cannes Film Festival


Nastassja Kinski and Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas
The film, from start to finish, is filled with mystery. The build-up is slow and it's only in the end that I realized that there couldn't be any other way to do the narrative, but slowly, while taking time for characterization to be fully realized. I understand why it took me several attempts to finish the film. I finally succeeded and, if only for the experience of seeing it, it's really worth my time. And it's a WimWenders' film!

The film's strength is in the dialogue or absence of it. The colors of some scenes which, to me, looks artificial or enhanced could be suggestive of fantasies the central character has in his mind. There are so many memorable scenes in this film. Let me give you a collage of such scenes that linger: a man wandering aimlessly in Mojave Desert, father and son seeing for the first time after 4 years, mother and child reunion,  the piece of land in Paris, Texas, and the most heart-breaking of all - the conversation between two long-lost lovers with a one-way mirror between them.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts