Movie No. 14 (2013): LIFE OF PI

Life of Pi (2012)
Director: Ang Lee
Cast: Suraj Sharma, Irfan Khan

I have so much to say about this film. The thing is, I'm still in awe and this prevents me from writing all the good things about it. I like the film so much in the same way as I like the book (by Yann Martel). 
For me the film is about spirituality and life itself, although it's disguised as an adventure film. Pi is the lone human survivor of a shipwreck; he ends up in a lifeboat with some unlikely company - a zebra with broken leg, a hyena, an orangutan, and a Bengal tiger! There Pi will learn about life and how to deal with it in the almost surreal scenario. The bulk of the story occurs in the lifeboat. That scene when Pi looks straight into the eye of the Bengal tiger is one of the best moments on screen.

This film uses the 3D technology. Unlike in other films where this technology has been pointlessly used, in this film Ang Lee uses it effectively to enhance storytelling. The result is a breathtaking tale of survival.

This is one of the best films of the 2012 batch that I've seen, so far. And this is my first 3D viewing experience in theater.

Date seen: January 9, 2013

Rating: 4.0/4.0




Comments

Popular Posts