John Le Carre: THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD


In 2006 Publishers Weekly named “The Spy Who Came in from the Cold” the best spy novel of all time. My guess is that it’s not without reason that the book had earned the title. It’s not for me to say since I’ve only read a few spy novels, maybe two or three. All I can say is that it’s one of the most gripping books I’ve ever read. It’s that kind of novel that I didn’t want to end despite my sustained desire to know how it would end. And when it ended, I couldn’t move right away with so much awe.

Richard Burton in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)
I saw the film adaptation of this book early last year – the one directed by Martin Ritt in 1965. I had to see it again right after I read the book yesterday. It was then I realized that there were a few minor changes in the film adaptation (with reference to the book) that I could forgive. But the film was as riveting as the book. The amorality of the espionage business has been masterfully depicted in both the book and film.

Rating:
5.0/5.0 (book)
4.0/4.0 (film)

Comments

Popular Posts