Film Review: Contagion

Laurence Fishburne and Kate Winslet in Contagion
Contagion (Steven Soderbergh, 2011)

It's scary how six degrees of separation (or the extension of it) can play significantly in spreading an epidemic. The film Contagion (directed by Academy-Award winner Steven Soderbergh) is partly about this. And the most significant part is the drama with all the usual paranoia and panic and finding immediate cure and temporary measures in dealing with an epidemic. The subplot on a possible extra-marital affair that has been exposed due to this outbreak adds spice to the drama.

I've seen several films and read some novels centering on outbreaks and I thought I didn't need to see Contagion. But I couldn't resist seeing it (just) because Steven Soderbergh made it and the cast is powerhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law and Marion Cotillard). I'm glad I saw it (finally); it's worth my time.

Rating: 3.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts