Film Review: Flickering Lights

Flickering Lights (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2000)
In Danish with English subtitles

a scene from Flickering Lights (2000)
The film tells the story of four childhood friends from Copenhagen who end up (trying) to settle in the countryside while on their way to escape to Barcelona. With them (in tow) is 4 million kroners they are supposed to bring to their gangster boss whom they tricked. These friends are small-time crooks. But when their immediate past catches up, a mix of violence and unexpected humor threaten their plan for a new life.

I saw this film in 2001 or 2002 in a European film festival in Manila. As far as I can remember, I liked it. Now, having just watched it for the second time, I know why I liked it then. I still like the dark humor and sentimentality of the film.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts