Film Review: The Artist

THE ARTIST (Michel Hazanavicius, 2011)

I saw this film a day before the 84th Academy Awards presentation.

Jean Dujardin in scene from The Artist
The Artist is a good film. Its synopsis, which I read before I watched the film, reminded me of the 1952 film Singin’ In The Rain. Both were sere set in that period in the history of cinema when silent film productions were threatened by the advent of ‘sound’ cinema.

The story is so simple that if the film didn’t use the silent-film format, I’m not sure if people would really get interested to watch the film. But anyway, the totality of a film depends on many aspects and, I think, The Artist has all these. Does it deserve the Best Picture award? Well, maybe. It’s easy to love the movie (specially the dog).

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Comments

true.north.2002 said…
If the Academy really wanted to be sentimental, "Hugo" is a far better film about film-making than "The Artist".
alvinrcaparanga said…
Yes true.north.2002, I agree. Absolutely!

Popular Posts