Film Review: War Horse

WAR HORSE (Steven Spielberg, 2011)

Despite its being truly cinematic, the film pales in comparison to the likes of Saving Private Ryan and Empire of the Sun. The film, however, is still a decent addition to Steven Spielberg's exquisite filmography.

Jeremy Irvine and "Joey" in War Horse
The film, adapted from a novel for children, tells the journey of a horse (Joey)  that had been sold to the military during the World War I. The horse was previously under the care of young Albert who later enlisted himself to fight for England and to look for Joey. The film attempts to be an epic and almost succeeded. It has some good moments worthy of praise. What lingered in me after watching the film were the cinematography, score, and the  great supporting cast (Emily Watson, Peter Mullan and David Thewlis). Jeremy Irvine is perfect for his role as young Albert.

Rating: 3.50/4.0

Note:
I watched this film on the same day I saw The Artist. That was the day before this Academy Awards ceremonies. I thought I already blogged about this. It's only a while ago that I realized I hadn't written about it (yet). The movie is not forgettable. I just forgot to blog about it.


Comments

Popular Posts